Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Creativity Basics Discussion Questions

1) What evidence do I have from my past that I can be creative?

I was taught since a young age to be a musician. My mother taught me since I was a little kid and I continued to grow as a musician into my later years. It taught me a form of deep expression. Even though I was taught to play the little black notes on the page, I quickly learned that there is a different way to play each note. A different way to make my own sound. Every musician has his own style and although two musicians can be playing the same piece, they may sound completely different based on their respective styles. This was a form of creativity I learned from a very young age, and unfortunately I admit it has diminished with age.

2) Has my creative thinking lessened over time? Why is that? What changes would I need to make to bring it back?

My creativity has definitely lessened over time. It has lessened with age and the awareness I have of other peers. Unfortunately, I feel that current educational systems are only based on meeting certain quotas. Teachers are required to push their students to achieve only certain goals and students are expected to meet these goals. These requirements and societal norms push students to form to those norms and lose sight of simple creativity they all share as small children. I too believe that I feel into this trap, along with many of my peers. I feel as if it is a lack of specialization at a young age to efficiently push the creativity out of students. I have noticed that creativity seems to come back at a much later age in American colleges. Colleges push to have that creativity unleashed. I am taking those opportunities to specialize my own abilities but also to seek other creativity opportunities. One thing I have done in the last year to release my creativity is picking up another instrument - the guitar. A career as a musician is not as accepted or pleasing to parents as a career in business. However, I am trying my hardest to release my creativity as much as possible, on the side with school, through music. It opens a new way of thinking.

3) Who do I consider to be the most creative person in my circle of family and friends? Why do I think they are creative? What do they do?

For some reason, the first person I think of when asked this question is my friend Bonn. Although it is only one way to think of creativity, he has to be the one person I know that really thinks outside of the box. He is constantly thinking of crazy ideas, like a "Vomitorium". One day, my friend Bonn suggested the idea of having a restaurant solely in existence to push so much food down the consumers throat that they are forced to use a back room and vomit up how much they have eaten. Honestly, I think it is a terrible idea, but it shows some sense of wacky creativity. Unfortunately, what I believe he lacks, is an ability to see out his crazy ideas. Good thing for us all that he did not act on this idea.

4) What would I liked to learn about that would make me more creative? Where might I find this information?

Honestly, looking back on it now, I wish I could learn more about engineering to make myself more creative. I would really enjoy building something that worked for the better of man. Anything, some little device that would make living easier. I unfortunately know that I could find this information through a whole other major - outside of accounting - but luckily for me, I might be able to find some of this stuff online.

5) What do I do that has worked well in the past but is now getting in the way of my creativity/productivity/effectivity?

Like I had mentioned before, I have been a very solid musician. It was always a way to be creative. But I have shyed away from the route, going for a very analytical major like accounting. I feel that with all of the restrictions and regulations in my major, it hinders a lot of my creativity. Because, let's admit it, the really creative accountants have ended up in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment