Tuesday, September 1, 2009

SWOT Analysis

Goal: Receive "A's" in all of my classes this semester.

Strengths:
- Been in college 3 years
- Good organization skills
- Knowledgeable on basis of business
- Smart enough and capable complete tasks
- Strong music knowledge for music class

Weaknesses:
- May get burnt out from work
- Can only stay awake for so many hours during the day
- Not an expert in all areas of classes

Opportunities:
- Work at school
- Can do school work at work
- Two classes are based online for better time management
- Easy access to materials online
- Great teachers to help learn material

Threats:
- 18 credit hours may be tough
- Other commitments: business fraternity, "work work", fitness (gym)
- Girlfriend takes up a lot of time
- Couple classes should be tough and time commitment
- Facebook... enough said

After completing the Personal SWOT Analysis I was not necessarily surprised to see anything I completed. In a way, I think we all do an analysis for ourselves when we first sign up for a class. I feel like I was reiterating what I did when I first chose these classes. These were all aspects I was well aware of about myself and my surroundings.

I don't think I was too hard on myself when creating this SWOT Analysis. I could have picked apart my weaknesses a little more. That is where I would say I may have been too easy on myself. If I took more time to really evaluate all of my internal weaknesses I could have been harder on myself for this section. However, in this situation, it may not be possible to identify all of my weaknesses this early in the semester. Most likely I will be identify them more clearly after a few weeks to determine what I need to do for the semester.

This semester I am aware that I need to convert my weaknesses to strengths and change my threats to opportunities. It is the exercise of this SWOT Analysis that allows me to identify these quadrants so I can take the proper steps to complete my goal. In this analysis, I need to use my organization strengths to overcome the weakness of losing sleep and burning out. I need to also use my abilities to learn the material to become an expert in the class by the end of the semester. As for overcoming my threats, I need to understand by taking 18 credits this semester it becomes an opportunity for me to graduate on time this year. I also need to take those other threats: fraternity, gym, girlfriend, facebook, etc. and use them to create other opportunities for the greater aspects of my life. These are threats to this overall goal but may pose opportunities in other areas of life.

Overall, a great exercise. This is a great way to identify each of these quadrants and things like this can be done each semester for goals you wish to acheive.

No comments:

Post a Comment